Airbag & Seatbelt Failure
Faulty air bags and seat belts are a significant issue within the automotive industry. You rely on these safety mechanisms to protect you in a car crash. So when they fail, it can be disastrous. In fact, you may not even be aware that a flaw exists in the seat belt or air bag until it is too late. At the Law Offices of Cohn & Smith, P.A. in Pembroke Pines, our experienced airbag injury attorneys take your accident-related injuries seriously. We investigate the cause of your accident and the various factors that contributed to your injury.Working to hold negligent parties accountable for faulty seat belts in Broward County
A driver is most likely unaware when a safety issue exists with a seat belt. However, your safety restraint system can fail when put under force in a car accident. A few of the flaws we have seen with seat belts include:
- Latch failure. Even if you are wearing your seat belt, you can be thrown from the car in an accident if the latching system is defective. This occurs when the latch clicked upon buckling yourself in, but when force from impact was placed on the belt, the buckle comes out of the latch.
- Torsion bars. Torsion bars are designed to twist and fail intentionally if too much pressure is placed on the belt. This may result in you hitting the windshield, steering wheel or side window — or being thrown from the vehicle.
- Latch plate failure. Sometimes the entire latch plate detaches itself from the buckle when force or pressure is placed on it.
- Webbing defects. It is possible that the belt itself can have a design flaw. If the belt is splitting or tearing, it does not properly restrain you during an accident.
If your injuries are the result of a flawed seat belt, a knowledgeable auto accident attorney can help you pursue your legal remedies.How do air bags malfunction?
Air bags are now a standard feature in vehicles made in the United States. Many cars have front air bags and side or rear-impact air bags. A faulty air bag can result in catastrophic injuries for anyone involved in a forceful crash. Air bags protect drivers and passengers by absorbing the bulk of the impact in a traffic accident. If you have been injured in an auto accident due to a defective air bag, you may have the right to be compensated for your damages. There are two main ways an air bag can malfunction:
- Failure to deploy. If the air bag fails to inflate, it can cause the occupants of the vehicle to suffer severe injuries to the head and face.
- Inadvertent deployment. When an air bag inflates during normal driving, it can block the driver’s view and possibly cause him or her to lose control of the vehicle, crash and sustain serious injuries.
The Law Offices of Cohn & Smith, P.A. represents individuals throughout the state of Florida who have suffered an injury from a defective air bag or seat belt. Contact us online or call us at 954-431-8100 to set up a free initial consultation with an airbag injury lawyer in Pembroke Pines today.